Thursday, February 14, 2013

Colorado Girl



People, when traveling, often find themselves in love with the city they are exploring and say, "I could really see myself living here". That statement always makes me smile because I can relate to that feeling of truly seeing yourself living in that special place, making that city your own, and building a world for yourself, but 98% of the time, people go home, get back to their routine, and never make the move. 

From New York to San Francisco, Boston, Bethesda, and Barcelona...I've had love affairs with them all. I've pictured my apartment, my friends, and my weekends spent at markets, brunches, and museums. I've envisioned myself walking to barre class, into the coffee shop on the corner where the barista knows my order (tall chai with skim, half the chai, extra hot please), and smiling at familiar faces in my neighborhood. Life is always perfect when you imagine yourself in another place-you're happy and everyone is friendly. Your apartment is always adorable because rent is affordable and you have exceptionally good taste in decor, you're ten pounds lighter, and you love your job. 

There is one place that, through the years, has tugged at my heart and whispered my name long after I returned home and was back to my routine. This place is rugged and beautiful, majestic and enchanting. It's small enough to make my own, but large enough to endlessly explore. It's full of great restaurants, music, and parks, but offers room to breathe when I tire of the bustle. There are mountains and valleys, rivers and lakes, and sunshine and snow. Colorado wins and this Missouri lady is packing her belongings and heading west. Her apartment will be perfect, she will be happy, and everyone will be friendly. Right? 

"He was born in the summer of his 27th year
Comin' home to a place he'd never been before
He left yesterday behind him, you might say he was born again
You might say he found a key for every door"

-John Denver, Rocky Mountain High





No comments:

Post a Comment